The workshop Collective Forms in China is organised by the Visiting School of the Architectural Association School of Architecture (AA) in London, UK, in collaboration with the Huazhong University of Science & Technology (HUST) in Wuhan, P. R. China.
Participants will get an in-depth knowledge of the Chinese Danwei system and the People’s Commune, the most important historical planning models in China if not worldwide, through case study analysis, archival research and seminars.
The workshop offers:
• Development of research and presentation skills.
• Development of drawing and analytical skills.
• Development of portfolio.
• Seminars with scholars leading in the field.
• Participation in symposium.
• Contribution to publication or exhibition.
Date: 14-27 August 2017
Venue: School of Architecture and Urban Planning (SAUP), Huazhong University of Science & Technology,
Luoyu Road 1037, Wuhan, Hubei, P. R. China. 430074
Download Map: AAVS Wuhan-Campus Map
Week 1 – Research:
- 14th August: workshop briefing.
- Urban and rural site visits.
- Series of seminars on the danwei, people’s commune and research methods.
- Representational and computational skills workshops.
- Interim review of research findings at the end of Week 1 (20th August).
Week 2 – Research, Design, Representation:
- Based on the research, we will develop ‘animated collages’ (short films) that integrate the research and experimental design proposals.
- Technical skills workshops for collaging, animation and film editing.
- 26th August: First day of the symposium with presentations of workshop findings by students.
- 27th August: Second day of the symposium with presentations by invited speakers and a round-table discussion
For further questions, please contact the co-director Jingru Cyan Cheng: email@example.com
Work Selection 1 – Tutor Aiden Deng Ai
Work Selection 2 – Tutor Aiden Deng Ai
Work Selection 3 – Tutor Aiden Deng Ai
SELECTED WORK FROM 2016 WORKSHOP
(Examples of design projects)
Commune – Group 1: Daily Routine Analysis and Intervention for New Collectivities (Shigushan Village)
Commune – Group 2: Housing Typologies and Design Manifesto, Discussing Relationships between the Commune Legacy and Contemporary Rural Living (Shigushan Village)
Danwei – Group 1: New Housing Unit Typologies and Design Manifesto, Reading Danwei as an Urban Structure (District 9, Wuhan)
Danwei – Group 2: Isometric View and Design Manifesto, a Regenerated Neighbourhood for Creative Industry (District 9, Wuhan)
Danwei – Group 3: Isometric View and Design Manifesto for Contemporary Collective Living in the Urban (District 9, Wuhan)